Have you reached your goal weight, but still can’t quite get the body proportions you want through diet and exercise? Thanks to advances in medical technology, removing some excess fat from isolated trouble zones like the flanks, thighs, or a double chin to re-shape your body has never been easier. The best part about fat freezing—which involves cooling fat cells to a temperature that causes them to crystallize and break down without harming the surrounding skin or other tissues—is that once the fat is gone, it can’t return in the same spots. There’s no recovery time needed for healing after non-surgical fat reduction at our Los Angeles-based Skin Care and Laser Physicians of Beverly Hills, which many patients find to be another significant advantage. Basically, the procedure is non-invasive, low-risk, and easy to tolerate.
Many of the sensations you experience related to fat freezing will occur during the procedure itself, when patients may notice a pinching or pulling sensation, numbness, and cooling in the areas being treated. Most patients will be able to resume their normal daily activities after a session. However, there are still some temporary side effects associated with your body adjusting to the fat-removal process. These include itching, swelling, redness, tenderness, aching, bruising on the treatment sites, and sometimes a feeling of fullness of the throat if you’re having CoolSculpting® to treat a double chin.
Here’s what you should know about post-treatment expectations and how to manage any discomfort or other side effects:
- Talk to our team of board-certified dermatologists beforehand about ways to reduce the risk of discomfort or side effects from the procedure.
- Wear compression garments after a session to reduce swelling and maximize results.
- Avoid taking certain pain relievers like blood thinners prior to the treatment, as they can make side effects such as bruising worse. Be sure to check with a doctor in order to determine if this is a medically safe option for you.
- Take over-the-counter pain medications such as Tylenol or ibuprofen after the treatment if you’re experiencing discomfort.
- Try other natural remedies for pain relief, such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, light exercise, guided imagery, warm compresses, cold compresses, stretching, or massage therapy.
- Wear comfortable clothing, such as yoga pants.
For more information about non-surgical fat reduction, contact our Los Angeles-based Skin Care and Laser Physicians of Beverly Hills to discover ways of reducing unwanted fat. Send a contact form or call us at 310-246-0495 to request a consultation.Written by Dr. Derek Jones
Dr. Derek Jones is a renowned Los Angeles and Beverly Hills area dermatologist practicing in cosmetic and general dermatology.